How to create a recurring invoice from a previous invoice

SystemSystem Posts: 300 admin

imageHow to create a recurring invoice from a previous invoice

If you already created a single invoice and want to make it recurring, you don't need to create a whole new invoice! Here is how you can create a recurring schedule for an invoice that you have a...

Read the full story here

edited January 22, 2019 in Help Center Discussion

Comments

• mpelchovitzmpelchovitz Member Posts: 1

Is there a way to set custom invoice codes/numbers on recurring invoices?

I'd want recurring invoice numbers to be sent as XYZ-2019-## but not sure how to get this done. Please help as I have a client will not pay an invoice marked as #1.

edited January 22, 2019
  • jo2345jo2345 Member Posts: 6

This is helpful. However, I forgot to select "End." Now that the recurring invoice has been created, "End" s grayed out on the menu and I cannot set an end date. It's very confusing to have the invoice keep coming up for a client that I don't work with.

• AlexLAlexL Administrator Posts: 1,529 admin

Hi @jo2345 . Is the recurring invoice still sending? Is it possible that when you created it you set it up to send out once and then stop sending, so it the End button doesn't show up because it has already ended?

In the Recurring Invoices tab, which sub-tab does it appear under, Active or All recurring invoices?

@AlexL said:
    Hi @jo2345 . Is the recurring invoice still sending? Is it possible that when you created it you set it up to send out once and then stop sending, so it the End button doesn't show up because it has already ended?

In the Recurring Invoices tab, which sub-tab does it appear under, Active or All recurring invoices?

Hi Alex and thanks for the response. I see that they're all under Drafts, including the one that is sent. So maybe I didn't set them up right at all!

• BarsinABarsinA Administrator Posts: 694 admin

Hey there @jo2345

Just curious if you got to the 4th and final step on the invoice verification page where you send the invoice to your client?
    A lot of our users thing that attaching a customer to the invoice is enough to send the actual invoice since the customer has an email attached to it. However you need to actually set up a send method whether it be auto sending or manual. Let us know if this might be the case!

Hi @BarsinA Thanks for checking back. It's too bad there wasn't a tracking window that told me I had one more step to go. To be honest, I'm not sure if I did what you outlined (very clearly, btw--thank you!). I'm finding the whole setup confusing, There are now 5 drafts in my Recurring Drafts folder, and the system won't let me delete any of them! They all have the same name, so I can't tell which one was the one I wanted to use without going through every. single. one. Please please please ask Tech to let us delete unwanted Drafts!

• EmmaPEmmaP Administrator Posts: 421 admin

Hey @jo2345! Ah, you aren't the first to request this. I don't have any detail on if this will be a feature in the future, but your feedback on this is appreciated!

@EmmaP Thank you for the kind and prompt response.

Obviously, the team on these pages is thoughtful and customer-focused, but I’m gathering that something basic is missing among Wave UX. The ability to delete unwanted attempts isn’t usually considered a “feature,” but rather a fundamental of good UX design; one of the first things that gets included before launch.

(I hope there is a UX team! I don’t see UX job postings. It says on your site, “Our engineering team is fuelled by technical curiosity and empathy.” Empathy means UX excellence, and at the very least UX basics. But it’s not my experience so far, which is more one of should-I-quit-this-app-or-give-it-one-more-chance. The scanning quality alone is keeping me here for now.)
    edited November 16, 2019
  • EldoradocasthiEldoradocasthi Member Posts: 1

I don't see the "save" button... I created and manually paid the invoice yesterday 1/27/20. I completed the process as instructed above. I selected to have the invoice sent on the 1/27/21 ( the program I worked through the "get paid" section and clicked next... I then get prompted to "approve and start recurring invoice" there is no "save" button as indicated in your instructions.. it then proceeds to the invoice page where is then states " You have activated a recurring invoice - The first invoice will be generated on January 27th, 2021. The first invoice was already created and sent. that's why I'm setting it up for recurring... unlike my other invoices that I have set up for "recurring invoice" in my list of "all invoices" it does not have the notation under the invoice # it stating "recurring" Why ? i dont remember having this issue when I set up the other invoices to automatically recur. Whats the deal with this ??

• EmmaPEmmaP Administrator Posts: 421 admin

Hi @Eldoradocasthi! If you are following the process then you will not see a 'Save' button, it will instead say 'approve and start recurring invoice' as you viewed. We can get this updated! If you sent the invoice before the recurring schedule was set up then it will not have a 'recurring' note on the invoices page. Any invoices that are sent going forward from the recurring schedule you set up will have the 'recurring' note.