When did you take the leap?

CharlotteCharlotte Administrator Posts: 464 admin

In one of our latest posts on Bravely Go, From bored to boss, we profile four entrepreneurs like yourselves and share the stories of their transitions or pivots into the exciting and sometimes challenging world of small business ownership.

This got me wondering: when did you make the decision to own your own business? Was there a moment you can pin down, or were you just never quite comfortable in a 9-to-5 office environment? I'd love to hear more stories like these from the Community.

Comments

• CharlotteCharlotte Administrator Posts: 464 admin

@Dante Bulluck @mot @Jenna Huertas @UHRP3 @Kimpton @shoaib @julieoncloud9 really interested in this as someone who has thought about business ownership but never moved beyond the ideation stage - how do you get there?

@Alexia @Katie Silkina and you! :D What did you think of the article?

edited March 22, 2018
  • AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

It's all very relatable stuff to me!

Although I didn't end up starting my own business, a few years back, I felt trapped in a job, and a field, that wasn't for me. It took some time to gather up the courage to leave, but I eventually did! I sold almost everything I owned to move out of my hometown and to Toronto, with dreams of starting something completely different.

I packed up my cats, and my partner and I moved in with old friends of ours, and we tried our luck here!

Sometimes, and I'm sure our Wavers agree, you just have to take the plunge and see what happens. It worked out great for me. I found my place in the city, and at Wave!

@KanataPhotographer would you share your story with us?

• AceAce Member Posts: 5

A client was asking for me to submit info to be added to their payroll. That was the kick-off for me. I came home one day after that conversation and decided it would be best for me and my partner to apply for a Master Business License. 6 months later it is still the best push I have been given.

• TylerTyler Administrator Posts: 41 admin

Wow! These are all incredible stories! Such diversity in what leads people to taking that first step towards starting their own business.

I am sure it was a heavy ball to get rolling but we all know that momentum is a powerful thing. What did you find was the most challenging part about getting up-and-running once you decided to give it a go?

• PaulCPaulC Administrator Posts: 8 admin

@Ace said:
    ...It's not supposed to be easy; that is why success feels so good!...

Love that thinking! :)

I love these stories. @orangreene I can't wait to check out that game, please let us know when it's out! :smile:

• JJTCJJTC Member Posts: 14

These stories are so encouraging!
    I have worked for jobs since I was 14 years old. I started volunteering for a church and a political campaign rep for my area. Then I got hired on at the church to tutor children in reading and spelling. From there I taught myself how to do taxes and purchased the Tax Accounting Desktop book. That book taught me a lot in the ways of Accounting and Taxation. This fueled my thoughts to attend school for Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting.

To fund school and be able to take care of my growing family I became a CNA and I did both career paths for many years until after I graduated high school (assisting the aids taking care of my aunt and when their negligence killed her I got certified as a CNA) then college. I became bored with making big firms richer while I stayed in poverty and decided I can do this on my own.

Truly this process of being an entrepreneur is a work in progress. I am faithful to complete my course and have a successful business.

• barbarabrittobarbarabritto Member Posts: 5

I took the leap this year. I was fortunate. A busiess was gifted to me. I work with small business clients and want to work with cloud accounting

• PattyJPattyJ Member Posts: 8

It was decades ago. I was working at a 9-5 office job for people who didn't seem all that smart, and it began dawning on me that I could be using my abilities to run a business where I made the decisions and the profits.

I had some money in the bank to get me through about 6 months, that first time, and 6 months was all I needed. I quit the job and jumped into my business with massive enthusiasm. Even before I had a single client I would get up in the morning and consider that I had a full work day to do whatever would be most effective in building up my business.

It worked, and now I'm trying to do it again. In 2018-2019, I think it will take a lot more effort and time to get a small business going.

edited October 11, 2018