any way to add a dynamic month field on the invoice for when work was conducted?

rndigitalrndigital Member Posts: 3

I raise an invoice June 1st for payment in 30 days (annoying I cant set to 28) for work done in May. However noweher on the recurring form does it allow that info to be added.

Is there not a field for something like {{last_mm_yyyy}} or {{this_mmm_yyyy}} or {{next_month}} that woud auto populate, so in the above example my line item could be "consultancy services for {{last_month_year}}" returning "consultancy services for 05 2019" or something?

Thanks

Comments

• ChelseaKChelseaK Administrator Posts: 264 admin

@rndigital It's an interesting idea! While there isn't a field for this information to auto-populate on invoices, you can certainly add it to the 'Notes' section of your invoice. You could also head to Settings > Invoice Customization and create a standard memo which will auto-populate your Notes section when you go to create an Invoice. You can then adjust dates slightly as needed. :)

• rndigitalrndigital Member Posts: 3

but can I do that automatically or every month do I have to update all the invoices? The point of recurring is that it is automated, and if I have to go and change May to June to July etc that takes away from the usefulness?

• VuzaneStudioVuzaneStudio Member Posts: 1

I'm also struggling with the same thing. I have recurring invoices for my consulting services that I invoice for the month worked each month end. It would be great to have custom fields/shortcodes we could use that will automatically update and populate as per field instruction, just as you have accurately articulated in your comment above. It would be easier if we didn't have to update current month everytime the invoice is created for that billing month. It seems insignificant but it would add so much value and convenience.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,117 admin

@rndigital You would need to update it since once you add a memo in the notes section it will remain there until it's edited (on a recurring invoice). Again, this could be something that's more customizable in the future as we look into improving our invoicing feature, but we still don't have any immediate plans for this.

Appreciate the feedback and +1 one you've given us here as well @VuzaneStudio. For any feature additions/future plans to improve our invoicing section we will definitely let our users know.

• OutstaffOutstaff Member Posts: 2
    They have this feature on Kashflow but unfortunetly some months their system doesn't actually send the invoices which is no good. Is there any plan for this in the future as we need it as well.
  • OutstaffOutstaff Member Posts: 2
    JavaScript getMonth() Method?
  • olmoolmo Member Posts: 2

I'm currently trying to do the same thing. it's a pity it does not work out of the box. I would love to include the current month in the Item description field on the invoice. for instance, if my product is named "monthly fee", the description could be automatic to "February 2020"

• EmmaPEmmaP Administrator Posts: 299 admin

Hi @olmo! Thanks for your feedback on this! At this stage I have no further news on when/if this particular feature would be available but we appreciate your added insight.

• olmoolmo Member Posts: 2

Thanks, it's all about automation and making life easy. I don't like making repetitive work, especially if it opens the opportunity for human error, in this case, I often forget to update the month and send the invoice with the wrong "description"

edited January 24, 2020