Clean up Products and Services

Ally_rauDesignAlly_rauDesign Member Posts: 4

Hi, the person before me did not know the concept behind the global property of the items in Products and Services and created new entries every single time she needed an item in invoices/estimates. Now there are hundreds of items and I need to clean up the mess, but I get this error "We can't delete this product because it's associated with Invoice X. To delete the product, remove it from the Invoice X."
How do I go about doing it? In other systems you can just uncheck a button 'Global Item', you get a warning like 'all the invoices with this item will become local items' and no damage will be done to years of records and no weeks of manual labor needed. Can Waveapp do this? It's a huge mess and it's not usable at the current state. I definitely cannot go into hundreds of invoices and delete things because of record keeping and it just does not seem like a way of doing things in this day and age. Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Ryan_WRyan_W Administrator Posts: 462 admin

@Ally_rauDesign thanks for fleshing this out! At this point, I'm afraid that it's not possible to get rid of these items. The initial logic behind this was to maintain clear audit trails, although I get that it can become rather crowded if you have a lot of items. We're working on an archive function for old items, but until that day comes your next-best bet would be to add something like a "z" in front of the name of the item. This'll suppress it to the bottom of the list and get it a bit more out of your way.

• Ally_rauDesignAlly_rauDesign Member Posts: 4

Hi, I have a big problem now, because I tried to consolidate them by renaming them, and all the names on the actual past invoices are messed up. Could you please revert our Product and Services to March 13, 2019? Thanks!

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 1,145 admin

Hey @Ally_rauDesign. So there isn't a way to revert back to the previous setup you had on March 13th (prior to when you made the edits to those specific products/services). With that said, you will need to go back and rename them so they are properly accounted/tracked for in Wave.

• KadoKatieKadoKatie Member Posts: 1

I am having a similar problem! I want to clean up or change some of the products/services listed, but I don't want it to affect past invoices. I'm so disappointed to hear that there is not a way to do this!

• czyadgrlczyadgrl Member Posts: 11

This is one of the features that's been missing and bothering me the most. Really I just need to hide old items from appearing in the drop-downs when creating new invoices and estimates. I don't personally so much care that the old product listings appear in reports or the behind-the-scenes areas. Maybe instead of an actual archive, there's an option to "remove from invoice/estimate product options" or something of that nature. That could be more clear to both Wave product customers and still be ok for an audit trail?

Thanks!

@KadoKatie @czyadgrl I appreciate the feedback you've provided here -- definitely understand the frustration behind the clunkiness of products & services, especially when you need to create discounts for one time use. The only workaround right now is to change the name of the products & services so that they begin with Z (and they will all move to the bottom). We still don't have a time table as to when this feature would be improved/implemented .. but once we have an idea of what this could look like, we will be sure to let our user base know.

• sovietmolesovietmole Member Posts: 1

Hi @JamieD I have a slightly different problem that I want to clean up the products list. When I mass imported the first time, some of the records were duplicated but with different pricing and now I've sorted them out. I want to to restart this entire upload process but i can't overwrite the data using wave connect. I've not created any invoices so audit's still clean, any way to wipe out the data or simply delete my account and restart?

Hey @sovietmole. What you would need to do is go through your product & services list and delete the items individually to avoid any duplicates. It could be worth your while to close our your Wave account and start over if that's something you are interested in doing... all you would need to do is go to Manage Your Profile > Personal Information and then selecting Close Your Wave Account.

• freedomfreedom Member Posts: 1

Hi @JamieD - Your 4/13 response partially answers my situation. Here's some more questions related to starting over that I'd like to know before I head down that path:

1. If I close the account, is all of the data that was imported from the connected bank deleted or otherwise purged from your systems? (I'm fine with that, if it is the case.)
    2. Will I be able to use the same email address to start over?

Thanks in advance...

• ZoeCZoeC Administrator Posts: 388 admin

Hey @freedom, thanks for following up! :smile:

Once your account is fully closed, all of your transactions and accounting data will be deleted with it, Wave doesn't store it for you. If your account is fully closed then the email that you used to create it will also be removed, meaning that you can use it again to create a new account if you wish to start over :smile:

• davejordandavejordan Member Posts: 2

I also need to be able to clean up or "archive" product and service names/descriptions that I will no longer be using. Is there any progress with making this possible? It would be nice if I could just un-check the "Sell this" field and have these items disappear from the drop-down menu when creating future invoices and estimates...

• BarsinABarsinA Administrator Posts: 1,535 admin

Hey there @davejordan

My apologies, we still have no update on archiving products yet. We appreciate you reaching out for an update though. Take care!

• HowardHoward Member Posts: 2

The pale barebone-ness of the "product s& services" module compare to sophisticated "invoices", "transactions" modules is shocking. In products & services, the basic fields are not nearly enough to be useful. The products can't be sorted, or bulk edited.

The Google Sheet Connect is a nice tool, but data only flows one way. So if you imported 500 products, and then found out you need to edit a field in bulk. There is no way to re-import again (because old data already exist in Wave). Yet there is no way to delete them in bulk. (There should be a bulk data update function for products/customers/vendors, at least during company setup stage.)

It is one of the most disappointing aspect of Wave app. I hope Wave would come around to allocate some man hours to update the "products & services" module.

edited June 20, 2020
  • DavidolivierDavidolivier Member Posts: 3

@JamieD said:
    @KadoKatie @czyadgrl I appreciate the feedback you've provided here -- definitely understand the frustration behind the clunkiness of products & services, especially when you need to create discounts for one time use. The only workaround right now is to change the name of the products & services so that they begin with Z (and they will all move to the bottom). We still don't have a time table as to when this feature would be improved/implemented .. but once we have an idea of what this could look like, we will be sure to let our user base know.

would that change the invoice that have already been sent?? or affect the way the clients see their invoices or only the ones that we have on file under "All Invoices"

When can we expect an update to be able to update the pricing or services without changing all the past invoices?? this is definitely a flaw of the program, most people will be editing their services description or upgrade the pricing. it's quite annoying to have to have lots of duplicates in our product and services where it could be just neat and tidy.

can you help? I am trying to edit my pricing and wording on the existing product and service without affecting client invoices. I would like some clarifications on wether that affects the clients invoice (them to see the new wording and price upgrade) or only my invoices on file.

It would be be helpful to have an option to delete a product or service without affecting past invoices... not sure why this hasn't been done yet?
    Regards

• BarsinABarsinA Administrator Posts: 1,535 admin

Hey there @Howard

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback. You're right in saying that our team has prioritized invoices at the present moment (as some of you may have heard me say a number of times throughout the community). We acknowledge that the present state of our products and services aren't as developed as invoices or transactions and we want to address this in the future once we're able to prioritize our list of back end changes that need to happen first.

Hi @Davidolivier

Unfortunately this will change the invoices as they are linked to your Wave account for updates. Our team is aware of this but the workaround is to create another item instead of editing the previous one if you don't want it to update your other invoices sent out. I understand this is a cumbersome workaround and I do apologize however at this time we ask that you create new products to reflect a change.

• DavidolivierDavidolivier Member Posts: 3

@BarsinA

Thank you for your reply, If I understand correctly you are saying that if I change an item under my product and services, wether its pricing or wording it will change the exisiting invoices sent to the customers? As to if they were to reopen them for taxes purpose or at a later date? I am confused as to why it would change the existing invoices. Or does it affect my end only of the invoices.

I find that very hard to believe that wave hasn't found a way around this yet or work on this. As products and services will always change quite rapidly for new businesses for the pricing to be re adjusted. I can however make up new items but then it gets very confusing when drawing invoices to realize which ones are the new ones and which ones Ive corrected.

Any ideas as to when this will be worked on or resolved?
    Regards

David

• theactorsroomtheactorsroom Member Posts: 5

Absolutely 100% voting this up