How to add expenses and receipts to an invoice

shakeyshakey Member Posts: 2

Hi - I invoice for services and that will include some expenses from time to time. I've captured receipts using the mobile app, and I've approved them under Receipts.
How can I now add these to an Invoice? Or do I have to do this manually?
Thanks!

Comments

• SophiaSophia Administrator Posts: 147 admin

Hi @shakey! Wave currently doesn't have this functionality, but you can easily add receipt images to your invoice by exporting the Wave invoice to PDF and adding the receipts as additional pages, and then emailing the invoice and receipts together as one PDF doc.

• shakeyshakey Member Posts: 2

Hi Sophia, thanks, but I was hoping to be able to just add each one as a line in an invoice. I'll have to look elsewhere.

• kovalnyckovalnyc Member Posts: 4

I was actually looking for this functionality also. As a freelancer, getting reimbursed for expenses is common and adding receipts to invoices would be beneficial. I like Wave, but this is a really bummer. Any hope of this being added?

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

Hi, @kovalnyc,

I can't make promises, but I can tell you that you aren't the first person to ask for a feature like this one and that we do pay attention to feedback and suggestions from our users. We do have a suggested workflow to handle reimbursable expenses here, it might help out.

Can you tell us a bit more about your business? What field do you work in? Do you have reimbursable expenses on most of your invoices, or is it more of an occasional event? Do you require those receipts to be directly attached to the invoice, or would a simpler workflow to charge clients for those expenses do the trick?

• kovalnyckovalnyc Member Posts: 4

Yes, the receipts are attached directly to the invoice. In this case, I have to print out the invoice and actually staple the physical copies of the receipts.

In this particular case I was doing some renovation for a client. The agreement was that I'd bill only for supplies I used, and I wanted to present the receipts as evidence of that for transparency reasons.

I've had other situations similar to this when a job is agreed upon via a flat fee, and requires me to purchase something in order to get the job done. Showing the receipt is sometimes required for the client side accounting.

It's not a deal breaker but other platforms have it. This is Xero's version of it. https://central.xero.com/s/article/Add-billable-expenses-to-bills#Web

The only thing I'd add to Xero's is to be able to present a copy of the expense or receipt to the invoice somehow, either collected at the end, or to the line item.

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

Thank you for following up with more details, @kovalnyc. Your feedback is extremely helpful!

• 459consulting459consulting Member Posts: 1

I'd just like to add to this thread as I just started using this product for my business and I need this functionality. I provide consulting services, pay for the service can be variable depending on the client, but all clients pay for expenses as the consulting requires travel to sites. So I create an account for each trip, collect all my expenses for that trip with scanned images. I then reconcile that within my own corporate structure, but it would be great when I create an invoice for the client I could attach a selection of those expense from the account I associated them with to the invoice with images automatically. Usually meals are something that are not expense-able as individual items. So i might create -- as the account name, then when I create the invoice be able to select categories from that account name e.g. travel. All travel expenses are populated onto the invoice and images are attached.

• ErikErik Administrator Posts: 187 admin

@459consulting thank you for the additional input! I'll include your current and desired workflows when bringing this up to the team!

• SimonereevesSimonereeves Member Posts: 6

How do I send a pdf of the various receipts captured in the App (and now recorded as "Done"] to send with the Invoice to the client?

• SamdSamd Administrator Posts: 498 admin

Hey @Simonereeves, the easiest way would be if you still have the image files of the receipts, to attach them and send them in an email along with the invoice PDF. Alternatively, you can head over to Receipts in the web browser and view the source images to save a copy of the relevant invoices and send them over. Going forward we're looking at ways to have items attached directly to invoices, so in the future this should be less of a manual process.

• SimonereevesSimonereeves Member Posts: 6

Ah, thanks, yes, would be great if you could attach them as this is not an uncommon happening... ;)
    THanks

• adventuresofnateadventuresofnate Member Posts: 1

Invoice2go does a great job at easily attaching receipts to invoices. Too bad Wave does not, kind of a deal breaker for freelancers.

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 650 admin

@adventuresofnate In terms of us adding a feature such as this, could you elaborate a little more how it would benefit you while you are using Wave and how this would improve your workflow? It's always best to get a solid idea of how specific features would benefit our users so that, when we're planning, we can add them to roadmaps with backed-up intended use from customers.