Can't delete draft recurring invoices

balancethebooks716balancethebooks716 Member Posts: 2

Created a number of recurring invoices and had trouble with a few - went back and forth - and when I went to the list there were "DRAFT" recurring entries with the same customers under "activated" - so now I want to delete the drafts and when I right-click for options there appears to be no way to delete them. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,314 admin

Hi, @balancethebooks716.

Recurring invoices can't be deleted, only "ended".

If you intend to use recurring invoices in the future, you can just remove the content of those drafts for now and use them as bases for actual recurring invoices in the future. Alternatively, you could finish and approve them, but set the date of the first invoice sometime in the future. Once it's created, end it immediately and it'll be archived in the "All Recurring Invoices" tab.

• balancethebooks716balancethebooks716 Member Posts: 2

Both very good approaches - I am new the WAVE and so getting around is taking a little extra time - thanks for your help.

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,314 admin

Allow me to Welcome you to Wave, then, @balancethebooks716! We're happy to have you!

I'm almost always close-by, you're welcome to reach out if you run into anything else.

• Philip95Philip95 Member Posts: 11

Is there a reason why a draft recurring invoice can't be deleted? I can understand that an activated one can only be ended, but not being able to delete a draft seems odd.

• ConnorMConnorM Member, Administrator Posts: 1,175 admin

Hey @Philip95! Great question here. When a draft recurring invoice is created, it's as if it's the start of setting up a schedule. Since the schedule hasn't been finalized, it doesn't necessarily 'exist' yet, so it's sort of a halfway set-up where we haven't told the software "Hey, create this invoice on this date every x time period, and send it to y person." yet, so there actually isn't anything to delete. You can leave that schedule there and edit it as much as you'd like before finalizing it, at which point you can 'end' it, because now there's something tangible to get rid of. I hope that makes sense!

Thanks @ConnorM ... Not sure I agree that "it doesn't necessarily 'exist' yet". It has to exist as a record in a table somewhere in order for it to display on the page. So, I still don't understand why you can't delete a draft... you would just need to allow deletion for records in this table that have a Draft status. Something like below would make sense:

In Draft, you can view, edit, delete.
    Once Approved, you can view, edit or end.
    Once Ended, you can only view (not sure why you're able to edit in the current solution).

Not having a delete feature for Drafts seems sloppy.

edited August 4, 2020

Thanks @ConnorM ... Not sure I agree that "it doesn't necessarily 'exist' yet". It has to exist as a record in a table somewhere in order for it to display on the page. So, I still don't understand why you can't delete a draft... you simply need to allow deletion for records in this table that have a Draft status. Something like below would make sense:

In Draft, you can view, edit, delete.
    Once Approved, you can view, edit or end.
    Once Ended, you can only view (not sure why you're able to edit in the current solution).

Not having a delete feature for Drafts seems sloppy.