Wave checkout and recurring payment

ChanelChanel Member Posts: 4

Hi: is there a way to create a checkout that can create a recurring payment at the same time ? Or will I have to create checkout and then create recurring payment for this customer ? I am in the subscription box business and I am looking into building my website with wix.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

Hi, @Chanel!

There isn't at this time, but it is a really interesting suggestion and I'll be forwarding it to our product team.

For now, Checkout by Wave can only do one-time fees for single products. It makes it perfect for a consultant, for example, who charges a flat rate for a first consultation, but it does have limitations for the time being. Thank you for your feedback!

• ChanelChanel Member Posts: 4

Ah ok ! But is it something that I could do. Have a checkout that says for example 30 $ per month. Charge the first 30$ at the check out and then manually set up recurring payment for the next months ?

• TimKTimK Member Posts: 40

No. The only thing you could do is....once you get the initial order through your Wave Checkout, you could then create a recurring invoice that gets sent out via email every month with a link for the customer to make payment. But you would have to manually set up the recurring invoice once the initial payment was made.

@Chanel said:
    Ah ok ! But is it something that I could do. Have a checkout that says for example 30 $ per month. Charge the first 30$ at the check out and then manually set up recurring payment for the next months ?

edited August 17, 2018
  • AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

Hi, @Chanel.

@TimK is right on all accounts. After accepting a payment through Checkout, you will have access to that customer's information through the Checkout page, under Sales, and you'll be able to use that to create a customer profile and set up a recurring invoice. If you want that invoice to charge your client's credit card automatically, however, you'll have to get their credit card information through other means.

While Checkout has a few limitations right now (as it is, it only replaces the need for very simple invoices), we're looking forward to seeing how it's used by Wavers and to gather feedback. Thank you for sharing!

• KyleWalkerKyleWalker Member Posts: 6

I would love the ability to use recurring invoices as well. I do Digital marketing and charge monthly for the Management fee.

• Ryan_WRyan_W Administrator Posts: 462 admin

@KyleWalker you should have access to the recurring invoices tool under Sales > Recurring Invoices; you can read more about how to set them up here, if that helps. I'm assuming that this in the context of Checkout creating recurring invoices automatically (and if so, Alexia's and Tim's advice still stands), but I just wanted to make sure you have all of the resources you need to set this up!

• theactorsroomtheactorsroom Member Posts: 2

I second this. I would LOVE to have the ability to set up recurring charges through Checkout, like PayPal can, or, as a workaround, to obtain the customer's credit card information once he/she goes through the Checkout process so that we can set up automatic recurring payments ourselves behind the scenes.

• ChelseaKChelseaK Administrator Posts: 264 admin

@theactorsroom Thanks for weighing in! Is there a reason you would like to set-up recurring payments through Checkouts specifically? You can set-up a recurring invoice (Sales > Recurring Invoices) which sends automatically on a set schedule. This option allows your customer to opt-in to recurring payments too! Once you create the invoice, no need to worry about anything from there! Curious to hear more on the enthusiasm behind recurring payment through Checkouts specifically :)

• noelfeneznoelfenez Member Posts: 2

Any upadte on this? @Alexia @ChelseaK Just wondering if this is already in the pipeline and will soon be an option or not anytime soon?

My use case is billing multiple businesses for a listing fee, would much rather have automatic recurring payments then chasing down multiple invoices.

• AlexLAlexL Administrator Posts: 1,014 admin

Hey @noelfenez . No plans to implement this anytime soon, although if you've received a checkout purchase that you want to be recurring, you're best setting your customer up on a recurring invoice with Autopay. This way you don't have to chase down the payment.

• noelfeneznoelfenez Member Posts: 2

Thanks for the info @AlexL is there any way to automate this approach?

ex: Once client uses a checkout purchase they automatically get billed a recurring invoice with Autopay?

• ConnorMConnorM Member, Administrator Posts: 173 admin

Hey @noelfenez, unfortunately this is not something that exists in Wave currently.

• andrew_mashuplabandrew_mashuplab Member Posts: 1

I'm with @noelfenez and @Chanel @KyleWalker on this! I run a network of co-working spaces with various monthly membership options, so having the ability for Checkout to automatically set up a reoccurring monthly payment for a customer and have them opt-in for Autopay during the first transaction would be a HUGE benefit!! @ChelseaK @ConnorM @Alexia @TimK @AlexL the reason this is so important, by not being able to setup the reoccurring invoicing right at the first point of sale (i.e. Checkouts), you're now forcing the customer to go through a second purchasing decision a month later. For us, if they opt in to the reoccurring at the initial Checkout, the likelihood of us retaining them as a Member / Subscriber for the 2nd month, 3rd month, so on, is very high. Basically, it would be more work to go through the process to cancel than to just let it go and continue to pay. On the flip side, if they basically have to make the purchasing decision all over again a month later and go through the process / inconvenience of putting in their credit card details again and opting in for Autopay (albeit a relatively simple process), people are less likely to do the work to renew, even if they love the service. Additionally, people get busy and the new reoccurring invoice you send them in month 2 gets buried in their email inbox and you end up having to chase them down and harass them to dig it up and go through the process to pay it. They eventually do it, but it costs us a huge amount of time and is a pain in the ass for both us and the customer. By not dealing with it right at step 1 (i.e. Checkouts) you're making the customer do more work to give you money and putting another friction point in the buying / retention process. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this change and allow us to set up monthly reoccurring products for Checkouts!!!

edited November 2, 2019
  • virdualvirdual Member Posts: 1

@andrew_mashuplab said:
    I'm with @noelfenez and @Chanel @KyleWalker on this! I run a network of co-working spaces with various monthly membership options, so having the ability for Checkout to automatically set up a reoccurring monthly payment for a customer and have them opt-in for Autopay during the first transaction would be a HUGE benefit!! @ChelseaK @ConnorM @Alexia @TimK @AlexL the reason this is so important, by not being able to setup the reoccurring invoicing right at the first point of sale (i.e. Checkouts), you're now forcing the customer to go through a second purchasing decision a month later. For us, if they opt in to the reoccurring at the initial Checkout, the likelihood of us retaining them as a Member / Subscriber for the 2nd month, 3rd month, so on, is very high. Basically, it would be more work to go through the process to cancel than to just let it go and continue to pay. On the flip side, if they basically have to make the purchasing decision all over again a month later and go through the process / inconvenience of putting in their credit card details again and opting in for Autopay (albeit a relatively simple process), people are less likely to do the work to renew, even if they love the service. Additionally, people get busy and the new reoccurring invoice you send them in month 2 gets buried in their email inbox and you end up having to chase them down and harass them to dig it up and go through the process to pay it. They eventually do it, but it costs us a huge amount of time and is a pain in the ass for both us and the customer. By not dealing with it right at step 1 (i.e. Checkouts) you're making the customer do more work to give you money and putting another friction point in the buying / retention process. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this change and allow us to set up monthly reoccurring products for Checkouts!!!

I 2nd this. Please offer us the ability to automatically setup reoccurring payments monthly. It's simply not professional to have to require the customer to go through another checkout just to keep them reoccurring. This should be something easy to implement with Checkouts.

• AlexLAlexL Administrator Posts: 1,014 admin

@andrew_mashuplab Thanks for this incredibly in-depth account of exactly how this feature would help out your business.

I do want to be transparent with you and let you know that this isn't currently on our radar of features to implement, but it is these exact workflows that we ask our users about so that we know how exactly this would affect your business, and so we can add these into our considerations in the future when prioritizing new features.

Thanks @virdual . If you'd like to add your personalized workflow and how this would affect your business, we'd be happy to hear it!

• melissawmelissaw Member Posts: 3

As a hosting company and someone who uses flat monthly fees - recurring checkout would be AMAZING! I'm trying to move all my stuff over from paypal and that's the biggest thing in my way.