Importing Products

RVFmalRVFmal Member Posts: 3

Is there a way to import products from a .csv format?

Comments

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

Hi, @RVFmal.

There's currently no way to import a product list to Wave. Are you new to Wave and looking to import a large list of products?

If your individual invoices aren't too complex, you can add products directly from your invoices as you build them. That way you can slowly rebuild your product list has it comes up.

• RVFmalRVFmal Member Posts: 3

Hi @Alexia

I am looking at using the Wave platform, but there are a few things I would like to confirm before moving to it in its entirety.

The product list is rather large (componentized and stand-alone). Unfortunately it would take a fairly long time to add each of these manually.

Kind regards,

Thank you for your interest, @RVFmal.

I do hope this won't turn you away from Wave entirely! If you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to offer my help.

• terehinojosaterehinojosa Member Posts: 4

I need this feature too

Hi, @terehinojosa.

Can you tell me a bit more about your business? Do you frequently add multiple products or services to your list, or would that just be something that would make setting up your account easier? What kind of products and services does your business offer?

Wave is built with businesses that offer services in mind first, so features for managing inventory or a large number of products are unlikely to be prioritized in the foreseeable future. With that said, we're always happy to learn more about your business and receive your feedback.

• FoamHomeFoamHome Member Posts: 2

I need this feature - even 50 products, creating item by item, is time consuming!

• Shane1857Shane1857 Member Posts: 1

Any progress in adding an cvs product import function?

FYI I sell beverages. Each beverage sells in 8 different volumes, from 200ml bottles to 50L kegs.

So for even just 10 products, that is 80 different variations. Maintaining such a list is very time consuming with a high chance of errors. Much safer if I could upload a new csv file every time there is a product or price change.

Edit: Just realized each product item has multiple prices depending if it's being sold directly to consumer, retailer, wholesaler/distributor or manufacturer, so even more price variations, argh!

edited November 7, 2018
  • merlmerl Member Posts: 5

Will just have to chime in on this to, its a long term bear thats bugging me about wave. Personally, I can't believe its not been implemented already or that there seems to be a really fixed view that this is not important. In a world where people sell a variety of products to a variety of people with even more variety in the variations of those products. How is making the ability to add a businesses products like pulling teeth an acceptable aspect to accounting software.

It's right up there with the insanity of having to manually create bills instead of being able to enter both sale price and billing price on the product and so have a quick way to see whats sold for how much, what it cost and the profit margins involved. It's like selling chicken soup without a chicken. I'm torn by wave because there are many things i like about it but some fundamental options seem to be treated like a burp in the wind. Totally illogical and surely accounting software should be all about the logic. In addition, its 2018, ok we havent flying cars but we should have accounting software that recognises the real need for efficiency. How is a business expected to flourish if so much time is spent doing accounting work.

It's incredibly frustrating because these features that make using wave a dreadful experience are not even high on the radar for offering a solution. All I see when admin respond is a cartoon in my head with a person shrugging their shoulders.

• ErikErik Administrator Posts: 187 admin

@FoamHome @Shane1857 @merl I completely understand where you are all coming from. This is an area that our Product Team have been looking into, and we are working towards providing additional solutions for importing data to Wave in early 2019.

@merl This is a thoughtful response and I feel that our teams would really appreciate your input. If you would like, you can sign up to become what we call a Wave Innovator. What this would entail would be exactly what you've done here: giving us your honest opinions about our product and potential new features. We would then work with you on the information that is provided to us.

You can learn more here: https://www.waveapps.com/research

• javieryjaviery Member Posts: 1

This feature is a must for businesses buying & selling physical products.

Please implement an option to import products from a csv file.

Ideally, we could upload both cost and sale price in the same file.

This will allow us to maintain accurate records online, as well as simplify the sale and purchasing process.

Other than that, we are loving the application.

• fs0fs0 Member Posts: 1

Ah! How is this not an option. I'm in the process of evaluating software for our recurring invoices. Maybe I'll revisit if this is implemented.

• drinkonlyscotchdrinkonlyscotch Member Posts: 1

Please tell me this is a joke. Importing products is the FIRST feature you should worry about. If I can't get all my products in the system, it's worth absolutely nothing to me. And no, I'm not going to add them one at a time. We have well over a hundred items with 12 sizes for each item. Speaking of sizes, there's no column for that. I suppose I can use SKU as "name" and name as "description" but then there's no column for entering the size. Sure, I could enter a line item for each size, but then a typical order would have hundreds of line items and take forever to complete.

• PaulCPaulC Administrator Posts: 67 admin

Hi @drinkonlyscotch,
    Product Upload is now possible via our Wave Connect add-on for Google Sheets.
    It does seem like you have a requirement to manage a very large number of SKUs and sizes (and colours?). This is really not a use case that Wave was designed around, so you may find it more effective to delegate this level of detail to your inventory management system and compose the product variant attributions into the Description field of each invoice line item. (Wave Connect can also bulk-upload invoices.)
    Hope that helps!

• WebtaskrWebtaskr Member Posts: 3

I am unable to upload products in bulk using sheets which have more than 1 tax rate

• JamieDJamieD Administrator Posts: 581 admin

Hey @Webtaskr. I've just spoken with my integrations team regarding this and apparently, there is a hidden feature that allows you to add multiple taxes to the line items in Wave. All you would need to do is the following; Simply enter a list of the tax abbreviations you want, separated by commas:
    TAX1,TAX2,TAX3… You will just want to make sure that the abbreviations are exactly as you have set it up in Wave (since you will be typing them in, instead of selecting from a drop down).

I did the exact same thing @JamieD but unfortunately the upload skipped the tax type and listed all the products without any tax type. I had to remove all the products 1 by 1 as we cannot delete products in bulk too. :neutral:

• alexlewiszarkosalexlewiszarkos Administrator Posts: 140 admin

Hi @Webtaskr . I just tried this out on my account to confirm whether it works or not. It seems like it will only work if there are NO spaces in between the commas, so as Jamie said, it would need to be added as Tax1,Tax2 etc. If you have spaces, the system will not pick up your taxes.

Ohh wow thats great.... It works... thanks @JamieD and @alexlewiszarkos

Any idea about deleting products in bulk or recording payments in bulk. ?

Also i am in India where tax laws had recently changed.
    The Invoice format required has alot more info needed than what we get in wave.

Some Vital columns needed here in India is

1. HSN Code of each product.
    2. Tax Rate visible for each product.
    3. Tax amount visible for each product.
    4. Tax lookup based on the customers state. like IGST for states out of home state, CGST forCentral and SGST for states
  • alexlewiszarkosalexlewiszarkos Administrator Posts: 140 admin

Hi @Webtaskr . Currently, there's no way to bulk delete products or bulk record payments in Wave. These must be done on an individual level. In terms of needing more space to add information to your invoice, you can always customize the name of any pre-existing columns to something else by going to Settings > Invoice Customization. Additionally, you can add any other necessary information in the Notes section at the bottom.

The team is working on a more nuanced invoicing product, but until it's implemented into the software, these are your best options for providing additional info in your invoice.

• harpersferrytailsharpersferrytails Member Posts: 2
    Hi, If I transfer over to Wave and I figure out how to get the tax1,tax2,tax3 thing above sorted
    1) will they remain optional on all future invoices?
    2) can they be renamed Ranson, Charles Town, Bolivar, etc? I don’t have to remember which is which do I?! That invites disaster.
    Is it configured to tax the service (in my case) before the State tax that is applied when the extra tax is added? In our case, US, WV, certain towns pay added tax inside town limits. Don’t worry- I’m not expecting anyone to do that. :) I know where they are and who to charge what.
    While I have you, anyone figured out how to get my personal account out of here? I was trying to add Spark and it added my personal account. I’m probably going to switch banks or start a personal account and call it biz. Spark BAD!
    Cheers,
    Suzi
    @harpersferrytailspetsitting
  • Zoe_caffZoe_caff Administrator Posts: 161 admin

@harpersferrytails Hey Suzi! :smile: Once your taxes are added to your account, you will have the option of adding any of them to the invoices you create. You can also rename your taxes to what you need by navigating to Settings > Sales Tax > Edit icon. You can add any of your sales taxes to the products/services you create.

In regards to your bank connection, can you submit a ticket with us Here we can definitely look into things for you on our end! Thanks :smile: