Expense by Customer

bxeincbxeinc Member Posts: 2

I'm moving over from Quickbook and need to run reports based on an individual Customer.
I used to be able to do this in Quickbook by running a P&L report and filtering by Customer Name.,
I can't seem to figure out how to show income and expenses for indivudual customers... Is there a way to do this???

Thanks

Comments

• bxeincbxeinc Member Posts: 2

Also... I cant log expense by Job or Customer... I'm a contractor and I need to be able to categorize expenses based on a particular Job.

• AlexiaAlexia Administrator Posts: 3,315 admin

Hi, @bxeinc.

There's currently no dedicated feature to handle this in Wave. You would have to create individual expense accounts for different clients or jobs to keep track of those expenses separately.

As for charging it back to your clients, we have an article on the subject on the Help Center that might help out.

Let me know if that helps!

• angienixonangienixon Member Posts: 1

I have a similar need and am not understanding whether this solution is one I can implement for our purposes. We don't purchase materials until a client's project is determined and the bid accepted. Once the client accepts our bid, we purchase the necessary equipment (technology field), take delivery, configure accordingly, and install the solution/complete the project. We then invoice for time and materials, collecting tax from the end user on the goods (and we do not pay tax when we purchase them).

How can we show expense vs gain, per customer, or even in general? We don't really have "inventory", as it isn't purchased until the client needs it, and is then immediately incorporated into their project and invoice.

Thanks for any advice.

• AlexLAlexL Administrator Posts: 1,118 admin

Hey @angienixon . This isn't currently a function of the Wave platform. You could do some manual manipulation by calculating the difference between what you pay your vendor for the necessary equipment, and how much you sell the equipment/your services for, but there's nothing in Wave that will calculate this for you automatically at the moment.

• anjinsananjinsan Member Posts: 1

I've been looking for a similar function as @bxeinc. Can anyone tell me what the "customer" field is for in transaction details? At first glance is seems like a good place to add a cutomer to track expenses by customer.

• AlexLAlexL Administrator Posts: 1,118 admin

Hey @anjinsan . This currently doesn't lead to any of the reports, but we built it into the system with plans that we can build it out some more in the future. Currently, it's more of a reference point when opening a transaction.